Monday, April 20, 2009

Pros and Cons of Blogging in the Classroom

There are many advantages to blog, but there are also disadvantages. For this assignment I read Gretta's Blog. I think one of the advantages of blogging in the classroom is connection. It's a great way to relate to parents or other teachers. You can use your blog to spread information, ideas, etc. I know that as a parents I worry about the kind of teachers my child will have in the future and I would love to be able to have something like a blog to get to know the teacher a little better. The blog could be used to list their education and achievements.

Also, it's a great way for others to get to know you. They can learn about your work ethic, expectations, interests, and ideas. I think it's a great tool for keeping parents informed on what's going on in their child's classroom. For instance, a teacher can post assignments and their due dates that way the parents can encourage the students to get an early start or to be prepared by the due date. Teachers can inform parents on special events at the school or appointments for meetings.

Blogging does have it's cons. Blogs, honestly, can be a little boring. Some posts can be on-going and uneventful. Also, some people may not have access to the internet (although, this is changing dramatically). Teachers should not rely on just blogs to get information out to the parents. Handout, letters, or newsletters are still important for those parents who don't check the blog everyday.

Blogs have their advantages, which really seems to outweigh the disadvantages. I plan to use blogging in my classroom when I'm a teacher to stay in touch with parents and for other educational reasons.

1 comment:

  1. The idea of a parent having something they can go look at that contains information about their child's teacher is one of the ideas behind the Professional Blog. Great observations, Nikki. SS

    ReplyDelete